Tuesday, December 23, 2014

India Here I Come!

In just a few days we will be celebrating Christmas.  The biblical story of Christmas is one of my favorites. I know this seems like a weird intro to my India journey, but if you just follow along a little longer it will all make sense. To most, the Christmas story is simply one about a small child entering the world, or at least that is what many Christians hold so close to their hearts.  For me, the most important details of this story are often missed.  It is not just about a birth, but also about two amazing unequipped, teenagers, who were experiencing homelessness, and chosen to be this child's parents.  Can you imagine being a young mother, maybe 14 or 15, becoming pregnant and having to explain your pregnancy to your husband, who is not much older than you are?  To have to explain to your partner that he has been called to adopt a child that does not come from his own bloodline, in a time when bloodlines marked your place in the world. Then when he finally agrees to hang on to the relationship with you, and the child, you are both forced out of your home town, and left without a home. Being pregnant is one thing, but being homeless, pregnant, and told to travel at the end of your pregnancy is unimaginable.  Especially at such a young age. Yet, the two stepped out in faith and followed their calling, only to then be made to give birth in a dirty barn, no wait an animal feeding trough?  Sure the ending of the story is about an amazing birth, but what leads up to it is about two young people full of great courage,faith, and strength.  

I tell this story, because it is young people (just like the two above) who steal my heart everyday as a social worker.  I got into this line of work later in life, I will graduate with my masters the same year I turn 40.  Yet, I know I did not have the wisdom or patience I needed  to work with these kids when I was younger. I had to go through great suffering, before I was able to have empathy and compassion for broken kids.  I also had acknowledge not all stories are easy to tell and some even harder to hear and understand.  Through my education process, I have been able to work with youth experiencing homelessness and now youth who are incarcerated.  With each soul that has been placed in my path, I have grown to see just how connected we all are in this world.  It also continually breaks my heart how often the details in an kids story are missed, because we think we already know the ending.  When really if we would just stop and listen to the entire story, many of the kids I work with would have different lives.

Next week I will be embarking on my own journey, to India. Although I am not 14, I know my nerves get the best of me some days. I took a chance when I applied to this program and I got in. I do not know why India is calling, but I know it is. I am not sure why I am being asked to go so far from home, with 9 complete strangers, and without my support system, but I am here. So I will step out in faith to see what the experience offers. Luckily, I will not be going by way of a donkey, but instead I will leave on Jan. 2 and endure an 18 hour plan ride to Mumbai. I will begin 2015, by completing a social work study abroad program, with 9 other students from KU.  The programs aims to provide a better understand of a social welfare system in another country.  Our curriculum continues to change and will vary, so it is hard to say exactly what we will be doing. However, the hope is we will be visiting the slums, working with agency's who deal with issues surrounding gender inequality, family mental health, taking a train to a rural area, and learning more about homelessness in Mumbai.  I have started this blog to update all of you when I can. My hope for this trip is that I will walk this journey with courage, faith, and strength, while not missing any of the details in the story.  My goal is to share my adventure with you. May you find yourself seeking ways to become more courageous, faithful, and strong; because you never know when you might find yourself in a dirty barn, being asked to adopt outside your bloodline, or on 18 hour plane ride to Mumbai.  Happy Holidays Peeps.
    


No comments:

Post a Comment